Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Moon snails and Seaweed Hat

I was so exited to finish this hat that I didn't take the time to go to the beach to take a picture....


Same base hat as before, alpaca and Noro silk, odds and ends for the seaweed...
Needles size 4mm, bicolor multidirectional band, 120 sts. pick up, 8 flaps or hooks, moon snails base, sea lettuce and kelp inserts.

This was such fun to make.
I played with my needles to make the "Sea lettuce", I just happen to have the right colors. As for the Moon snails...

Mixed 1 strand of silk with the alpaca to add sheen to the shells, stuffed a little to give them dimension. I learned that I need to make the definitions stronger in order to see the coils, next time. Also the contrast is a bit strong between the main colors and the snails, but that is the way I see them on the beach.

As for the seaweed mess I found it lovely and lively.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a 4th year bio student and think this toque is absolutely amazing! I would wear this toque all the time for the extra bit of inspiration at the sea shore :)