Thursday, August 28, 2008

Woolen pancake?

I have been thinking about making a crochet hat, knitted.I wanted the look of the crochet bars, but with knitting I don't have to look most of the time, and I thought it would be fun to "duplicate" another version of the spiral hat.
Cast on 6 stitches with purple, did 2 rows, (1 knit 1 purl) for the stitch height, switched to orange.
For the bars: double yo, k2tog. on the second row dropped the double and knit all around. The look is right
Worked on increases, up to row12 everything looked right, then I panicked and thought it would be too small for the crown, so I increased more...That's when the "pancake" took Shape, lol.
I did not want to stop, or frog, so I plowed through to the end. A beret for a small infant, or felted it will make a nice change purse...
Anyway I learned something new which is always the point, I had fun doing it and I am going to persevere as I think I have got something interesting going on here. I lean toward using different size needles for the 2 colors, small for the dark, and 2 size larger for the bars, this might give me more height. Maybe a triple yo so the stitches stretch even longer, guess what I am doing today...

1 comment:

cedar said...

Up with the roosters I see....good designing...I will wait for the final product....would you like some silk/wool, felted into balls, like they were left in the washing machine by me, and washed by dh...so felted into some incredible blond rasta hair....let me know if you could use this...otherwise