Sunday, September 14, 2008

Water Knitting

Today was a beautiful day!!! After a very busy day yesterday at our Annual fall fair I deserved such a day. So I went to the beach....
This idea of knitting seaweed in the water has been nagging at me for a couple of weeks, but the weather and mother nature's lack of bounty on the shore was not on my side. I figured that since I had to keep the seaweed wet in order to leave it pliable for knitting, I would experiment at the beach.
Today was THE DAY!!!
I took a pair of plastic 12mm circulars and sat in the warm water.

At first I tried with any thing coming my way but discovered very fast that it would not wrap around my needle. So I picked some long grass type ones and went for it.
With the seaweed like a ribbon I kept knitting...
The sun was warm and gentle and the water kept me cool and relaxed.
I could have gone on for hours....

After a while I noticed that my hands were pruning, and even though the sun was still full on me I got too cold,

so I rose from the sea with this fun piece of water knitting!!!

Also the tide was coming in, and the sun moving away from the beach.


On my way off the beach I stepped on a sweet piece of driftwood, just perfect for hanging my catch of the day...


It is now drying in the garden. I can hardly wait to go back tomorrow, they promised another hot day, and try to Water Knit some more, this time smaller needles and in the round....

4 comments:

Bethany said...

You did it!

That first picture of you surrounded by the dark water is great.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I do love that picture...

cedar said...

soooo cool....

Lisa said...

I love that you actually did this!